Pantone’s color of the year, Radiant Orchid, has proven to be the loveliest energetic burst of color to brighten weddings year round. But when layered into fall weddings and paired with rich, deep tones? It’s wildly beautiful and in my opinion, shines it’s brightest. From florals to fashion to tablescapes, here are 15 of our fave spottings of this vibrant hue for autumn affairs.
Shades of pink… that is our love language. And these bright, blushing centerpieces by Fujii Florist are speaking right to our classic loving souls. They are wrapped up in a day so timeless and perfect with a Bride in a Reem Acra gown worthy of a good old-fashioned swoonfest and photographs that only Tanja Lippert could capture so perfectly. Catch all the pink, all the sparkly, all the love right here.
From The Groom…Lauren and I met in high school in California when we were both sixteen – me at an all-boys Catholic prep and she at the all-girl sister school. We shared a love of the outdoors, politics, and dinners at Pasta Pomodoro. Four proms, a long-distance college relationship, and one cross-country move later, our taste in restaurants has improved but the interests, good times, and respect for one another that initially brought us together remains the same.
Although we now call Atlanta home, we’re both Californians at heart so we knew the wedding would be back in the Bay Area, near many of our friends and family. Neither Lauren nor I consider ourselves sentimental people, but we couldn’t help but appreciate the beauty of choosing Stanford’s church as our ceremony venue – in addition to being Lauren’s alma mater (and home to my favorite college football team), her parents had gotten married there on the same date in August 37 years earlier.
The rest of our wedding planning followed naturally. We wanted the day to be beautiful and timeless, but also to really focus on the things that Lauren and I cared about most: friends and family, drinks and dancing, and amazing food! We were planning from afar so we made most of our decisions during a weeklong, whirlwind wedding trip during the winter holidays (and had lots of help from some amazing people). Our reception venue was a beautiful private home and garden, just minutes from the church, that had exactly the comfortable elegance we were looking for. Since we both seriously lack any artistic talent, we found other ways to add our own personal touches to the reception: a shuck-to order oyster bar (hands down my favorite food), personalized appetizers (fish n’ chips and crabcakes, reminiscent of our many trips to Barbara’s Fishtrap in nearby Half Moon Bay), a string quartet to play during the cocktail hours (one of our first dates was at the San Francisco Symphony), and his and her signature cocktails (Lauren’s classic French 75 and my dirty martini). Our flowers were done by a florist Lauren’s family has known since she was a child. We met with them six weeks before the wedding, described our color scheme and gave them free-reign with the design and were amazed at how perfectly everything turned out.
The wedding day itself was warm, sunny and like the past ten years we’d spent together (and hopefully the next 50 to come) was filled with more love and laughter than we ever could have dreamed. Lauren was stunningly beautiful and her smile and grace made me fall in love all over again. It was perfect.
Photography: Tanja Lippert | Floral Design: Fujii Florist | Wedding Dress: Reem Acra | Cake: Studio Cake | Cupcakes: Sprinkles Cupcakes | Stationary: Aerialist Press | Stationary: Swiss Cottage Designs | Ceremony Venue: Standford Memorial Church | Reception Venue: Twelve Oaks Estate | Catering: Cardel Catering | Bridesmaids’ Dresses: Amsale | Bridesmaids’ Dressing Gowns: Plum Pretty Sugar | Bride’s Hair: Karen Quisol | Bride’s Shoes: Valentino | Groomsmens’ Bowties: Southern Proper | Hotel : Four Seasons Silicon Valley | Linens: La Tavola Linens | Make-up + Bridal Party Hair: Tia Reagan | Oyster Bar: The Oyster Girls | Photography Assistant: Karen Rustin | Rentals: Hartmann Studios
We’re a bunch of beauty junkies on this little corner of the blogosphere (see our Makeup & Beauty Pinterest board), so when pros like Shena Cox offer to impart some wisdom, we happily oblige. It’s a step-by-step tutorial to recreate this soft, ultra romantic look yourself with flawless film images from Tina Boyd & Co. Grab your makeup goodies and let’s get started!
From Tina Boyd & Co…. I partnered up with Shena Cox and we wanted to show how to get a romantic look, even if the bride has to do it herself. From a soft romantic blush color to the perfect bun, everything you need to match that vintage lace dress. Bridal makeup is all about emphasizing your best features. It’s not about demonstrating how well you apply your makeup. So keep it soft and simple. Sometimes minimal is key. Even though wedding makeup is usually very simple and neutral, it’s one of the most difficult makeup looks to create, since it has to be PERFECT. After all, it is your special day! I will show you how easy it can be.
FOR THE SKIN
- First apply MAC’s strobe cream to the entire face to brighten, clarify and illuminate the skin.
- Next, apply my staple eye product when doing makeup on brides – fast response eye cream - which is a caffeinated eye cream with instant effects. It de-puffs, erases the look of dark circles, firms, soothes and softens the skin around the eye.
- Lastly, I apply a primer to ensure that skin will look smooth and your makeup will last all day. I used Make Up For Ever’s HD Primer on our model.
- I began with a “prime makeup look” which includes foundation, concealer, and enhanced brows. (I used Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation, MAC Prep + Prime Highlighter in Radiant Rose, MAC Brunette Brow Pencil)
FOR THE EYES
- Start off with an eye shadow base or primer. I used MAC’s Paint Pot in Layin’ Low. Apply a thin layer of primer beginning at your lid blending evenly up to the arch of your brow. I find that using a flat concealer brush similar to MAC’s #252 brush works best for applying your primer.
- Using a fluffy blending brush apply a taupe, medium brown toned, satin textures eye shadow to your crease to blending the shadow in a wind-shield wiper motion back and forth. This will accentuate the shape of your eye and define your crease. I used MAC’s #224 Blending brush and eye shadow in “Soba”
- Next, using a smaller, more tapered fluff brush, apply a small amount of a peachy brown eye shadow to your crease and lash line creating a side ways V and blend. I used MAC’s eye shadow in “Texture”
- Brush on a golden bronze color to your lid and inner corners of your eyes to really open them up. I used Urban Decay’s eye shadow in“Half Baked” and MAC’s 252 Brush.
- Apply a warm matte chestnut brown shadow along your lash line using a precision shading pencil brush. I used MAC’s eye shadow in “Brown Script” and MAC’s 219 Pencil Brush.
- Apply a light, frosted, golden peach shadow to highlight the arch of the brow. I used MAC’s eye shadow in “Motif”
- Using a cleaned fluffy blending brush blend all of the colors together to create a blended, seamless eye look.
- Finish off your look by applying a black gel liner and mascara.
FOR THE CHEEKS + LIPS
- To complete the look, apply a soft peach matte blush, a highlighter to illuminate her cheekbones and a soft peach lip. I used MAC’s blush in “Melba”, Mac’s highlighter in “Whisper of Guilt”
- On the lips I used MAC’s lip pencil in “Hover”, MAC’s “Kinda Sexy” Lipstick and MAC’s Cremesheen gloss in “Richer Lusher”
It’s a well-known fact, Plum Pretty Sugar can do no wrong. My current obsession? Their brand-new Fall collection exclusively for BHLDN. The collection is filled to the brim with gorgeous new styles all done in stunning new floral prints. I’ll take one of each, please!
From classic robes to fab new two-piece lounge outfits to boyfriend shirts, I truly couldn’t pick out my favorite piece. And the prints? Soft, romantic and sweet-as-can-be, all the things that Plum Pretty Sugar has become known for! Perfect as gifts to your ladies for getting ready on your wedding day (and well after!) or as gifts to yourself for the big honeymoon, this collection is as good as it gets.
Be sure to pop over here to see the full collection and to start shopping! Oh, and don’t forget to enter the amazing giveaway below!
The Prize: One lucky reader will win a set of four Boyfriend Shirts from Plum Pretty Sugar!
To Enter: Head over to Plum Pretty Sugar and swoon over the Fall collection for BHLDN, then come back here and comment on this post with your favorite new style + print!
To Win: One winner will be selected at random and announced on WIUP on Friday, October 3, 2014
Terms & Conditions: Can all be found right here. Good luck my dears! xoxo